Our chefs have reached into their family cookbooks again with their latest recipe for Filipino Chicken Adobo. This is an authentic dish from the heart of the Philippines courtesy of our Sous Chef, Chris’s mother. We hope you enjoy it as much we did!
Filipino Chicken Adobo
· 1 kg chicken thigh pieces
· 400g brown onion, diced
· 2 bunches Thyme
· 1 bulb of Garlic
· 2 sticks of celery
· 500ml water
· 500ml white wine vinegar
· 800ml soy sauce
· 10 black peppercorns
· 3 bay leaves
· 150ml liver sauce (Mang Tomas Sauce)
1. Sauté onion, celery and garlic until tender. Add the white wine vinegar, water and soy sauce to the pan.
2. Add the chicken thighs and the rest of the whole spices. Simmer until tender (estimated time is approximately 2 hours).
3. In the last 10 mins of simmering, add the aromatics of thyme to refresh the sauce. Take out the chicken pieces before meat breaks down.
4. Once the meat is removed from the pan, boil the liquid and add the liver sauce until desired consistency is reached.
5. Grill the thigh pieces to achieve a smoky flavour.
6. Return chicken to the sauce ready to serve.