Here’s a very special recipe from our Executive Chef, Dom’s grandmother, all the way from a quaint little town in France. This is the chocolate cake she served to a young Dom as an after school treat (spoilt!). The best bit – you can try it at home. It’s delicious, trust us!
· 4 eggs
· 200gms caster sugar
· 200gms plain flour
· 100gms dark chocolate, 55% cocoa
· 1 shot expresso coffee
· 1 cup vegetable oil
· 6gms baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcuis.
2. In a small pan, melt the chocolate on low heat and put aside.
3. Separate the yolks from the egg whites.
4. In a bowl, mix the yolks, sugar and oil with a whisk.
5. Add the flour and baking powder, mix gently and then add the melted chocolate.
6. In a mixer, whisk the egg whites until they get foamy and fluffy, they have to stick to the whisk.
7. Add half of the egg whites to other mixture and fold through gently. Add remaining egg whites. (TIP: folding half the egg whites at a time helps keep the mix fluffy!)
8. Finally pour into your bundt or crown cake tin and bake for 40 minutes.
9. Dust with icing sugar
Note: Serve with drizzled warm chocolate sauce, ice cream and fresh berries