Winter is the perfect opportunity to spend quality time with your friends and family as you enjoy a delicious home cooked meal and a few beverages, should you please. The traditional Sunday roast is a favourite for many. We have put together a Roasted glazed pork belly recipe for you to try at your next get together.
Roasted Glazed Pork Belly
1.3 kg slab pork belly, skin on
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbls honey
1 tsp light soy sauce
Freshly ground black pepper, as needed
1. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celcius.
2. In a mortar and pestle or electric spice grinder, pulverise the fennel seeds, cumin and sea salt.
3. Using a sharp knife, score the pork belly skin with parallel cuts 5mm apart. Make sure you cut only the skin and fat, not the meat. This will allow a lot of the fat to drain when cooking and make the crispy crackling.
4. Rub the meat on all sides with the salt and fennel mixture and the black pepper, taking extra care to see that it gets into the cuts in the skin. You can use a little more salt if you think you need it.
5. Place the pork belly on a rack in a roasting tray. The rack allows fat to drain away from the pork as it roasts.
6. Place in preheated oven and roast 15 minutes until the skin starts to brown.
7. Turn heat down to 170 degrees Celsius and cook a for a further 2.5 hours.
8. Mix the honey and light soy sauce together and glaze the top of the pork. Leave the pork in the oven for another 30 min.
9. Remove the pork from the oven and let rest 10 minutes. Slice and serve.