Get ready to travel across the globe with our latest recipe for Turkish stuffed eggplants which comes all the way from Turkey courtesy of our Sous Chef, Shaun’s wife. We hope you enjoy it as much we did!
120ml olive oil
2 onions, finely diced
2 small green capsicums, finely diced
300g minced beef
500g tomatoes, finely diced
2 tbsp tomato paste
15g chopped flat-leaf parsley
4 garlic cloves, diced
Garlic yoghurt, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°
2. Using a small knife, peel each eggplant lengthways, in striped-pyjama fashion. Cut each one in half and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a large frying pan and fry the eggplants over high heat for 5 minutes, until evenly browned all over. Remove from the pan and set aside.
4. Add the onion to the pan and fry over medium heat, until soft.
5. Add the capsicum and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add beef, diced tomato, tomato paste and 3/4 of the parsley (save some for garnishing). Season with salt and cook for a further 5 minutes.
7. Place the eggplants on a baking tray, cut side up. Gently open the flesh, sprinkle the insides with salt and garlic. Spoon the meat filling into the belly of each eggplant, and then cover each with a slice of tomato.
8. Pour 125 ml hot water over the eggplants, cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, or until the top of the eggplants are tender.
9. Sprinkle the remaining parsley on top.
10. Serve with a nice garden salad, yoghurt and some Turkish bread