It's all in the detail - complete your Christmas Day or New Year's menu with these recipes for the perfect roast turkey.
· 300g brown onions, diced
· 12 slices fresh brown bread
· 200g salted butter
· 1 bunch sage, leaves only
· 4 rashers bacon, finely diced
· 3 cloves garlic
· 250g pistachios, roughly chopped
1. Place bread in food processor. Pulse to form breadcrumbs
2. Over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and bacon. Cook until brown.
3. Add garlic and sage.
4. Add breadcrumbs and pistachios to mix and combine.
· 1 cup cherry preserve
· 2 tbsp orange juice
· 2 tbsp brandy
· ½ tsp grated orange zest
· 1½ tsp sage, dried
· 1 clove garlic
· 1½ cups chicken broth
1. Add all ingredients in a pan. Bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Set aside for basting.
Cranberry & Cherry Sauce
· 200g pitted cherries
· 200g cranberries
· 100ml white wine vinegar
· 125g caster sugar
· 1 shallot, finely chopped
· 1 rosemary sprig
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the vinegar and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
2. Add cherries, shallot and rosemary and simmer for about 7 minutes.
3. Once cherries are softened add the cranberries. Stir occasionally until sauce thickens
4. Season to taste
5. Refrigerate until required
Cooking the Turkey
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
2. Wash turkey inside and out. Pat dry with paper towel.
3. Place turkey in shallow baking tray, belly side down and fill with stuffing mix.
4. Cover turkey loosely with aluminium foil and place in oven. Roast for 3 hours (based on a 4.5kg or size 45 turkey).
5. Uncover turkey. Roast for a further 45minutes to 1.5 hours, basting frequently with glaze.
6. Place turkey on serving platter and enjoy with roasted vegetables plus your cherry and cranberry sauce.